Friday, November 19, 2010

Colored Heat-Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen


                It was not quite two o’clock when I pulled up in front of my grandmother’s apartment.  The heat had risen to over a hundred degrees, but I was in such a good mood after my lunch that I didn’t notice it.  The first sign of a problem that I noticed was that the air conditioner in the window next to the front door was not humming.  I put my hand on it and felt no vibrations.  It was off.
                I put my key in the door and opened it.  The apartment was like a furnace; the warm, still air not moving at all.  There was not a sound to be heard.
                “Hello?” I called.  Nothing.  I closed the front door and walked into my grandmother’s bedroom.  She was lying on her back in bed, sheet and blanket pulled up to her chin.  I shook her gently to wake her, but she did not awaken.  I felt her forehead, and it felt warm.  Then I noticed that the oxygen tube had slipped from her nostrils and was hanging over her upper lip.
                I quickly felt her wrist for a pulse.  It was very weak.  I used the telephone by her bed to call the operator, and an ambulance was on its way.  They were familiar with her neighborhood.
                I turned the valve back on on her oxygen tank and replaced the tube in her nostrils.  I opened the front and back doors, put the air conditioner on high, and sat by her bed to wait, dabbing at her face with a wet washcloth.
The ambulance arrived and two young men came right in the open front door with a gurney.  They checked her vital signs while questioning me.
                “Looks like heat stroke,” one said.  “Lucky you got here when you did.”  I didn’t feel lucky.  What had happened?  Had she known?  And how did the air conditioner and oxygen get turned off?  While I was with Sally Ann, had someone come in and done this?  I had to know.
They took my grandmother out the front door to the ambulance and I locked up the apartment and followed
them to the hospital in my Chevy.

No comments:

Post a Comment